[code-quality] How and where to add tests for Python 3

Oliver Bestwalter oliver at bestwalter.de
Wed Sep 3 14:53:01 CEST 2014

Hi,

first post here as well. I started lurking here a while ago because I am
interested in static code analysis (atm strictly from a consumer perspecive
though).

On 28 August 2014 01:16, Ian Cordasco <graffatcolmingov at gmail.com> wrote:

> > $ flake8 --version
> > 2.2.3 (pep8: 1.5.7, pyflakes: 0.8.1, mccabe: 0.2.1) CPython 3.4.1 on
> Linux
> >
> > And the code to test:
> >
> > import string
> >
> > print(string.letters)

I'd like to add some pointers to other projects that might be better at
solving problems like this.

1. I use PyCharm and it it has the best static code analysis I came across
yet. It highlights errors like this ans is very clever with dynamically
loaded imports as well (by collecting and caching runtime data as well).
They have an open source community edition as well:
http://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/features/editions_comparison_matrix.html

1. Another interesting project is Jedi: https://github.com/davidhalter/jedi
that started of as autocompletion lib, but is now moving towards static
code analysis as well (and Dave is a nice guy as well :)).

Cheers
Oliver