[code-quality] Change in error messages in pylint 1.1

Mark E. Hamilton mhamilt at sandia.gov
Thu Jan 16 18:50:22 CET 2014

Hi,

When we updated to pylint 1.1 many of the messages changed. In
particular, the invalid-name (C0103) message used to say:

... Invalid name "Test_which" for type class (should match
[A-Z_][a-zA-Z0-9]+$)

which was really useful, since (if you understand regular expressions)
it tells the user exactly what the name pattern should be. Now, however,
it only says:

... Invalid class name "Test_which"

This is less than useful, since as a user I might not know where to go
to find out what the RE is that was matched against. The messages
generated by --list-msgs only shows the general message:

:invalid-name (C0103): *Invalid %s name "%s"*
   Used when the name doesn't match the regular expression associated to
its type
   (constant, variable, class...).

which doesn't help.

The default REs show up in the --long-help output, but a user has to run
that manually, then look for the option which affects the particular
message he is seeing.

Is there a way simple way to get the REs on the generated html pages again?