[code-quality] Pylint not reporting modules passed on command line

Mark E. Hamilton mhamilt at sandia.gov
Fri Aug 8 22:31:36 CEST 2014

Hi, again,

I've got a test structure that looks like this:

     % find .
     .
     ./test_dir1
     ./test_dir1/subdir1
     ./test_dir1/subdir1/test1.py
     ./test_dir2
     ./test_dir2/subdir2
     ./test_dir2/subdir2/test2.py

If I pass both .py files to pylint on the command line it processes
both, but only reports one of them in the 'by module' section.

% pylint test_dir1/subdir1/test1.py test_dir2/subdir2/test2.py
No config file found, using default configuration
************* Module test1
C:  5, 0: Line too long (87/80) (line-too-long)
************* Module test2
C:  1, 0: Missing module docstring (missing-docstring)
% errors / warnings by module
-----------------------------

+-------+------+--------+---------+-----------+
|module |error |warning |refactor |convention |
+=======+======+========+=========+===========+
|test2  |0.00  |100.00  |100.00   |60.00      |
+-------+------+--------+---------+-----------+
Statistics by type
------------------

+---------+-------+-----------+-----------+------------+---------+
|type     |number |old number |difference |%documented |%badname |
|module   |2      |2          |=          |0.00        |0.00     |

It's always the same file (test2.py) which gets reported, even if I
change the order of the files on the command line. The same thing occurs
if I pass --output-format=text or --output-format=html; both the
pylint_global.txt and pylint_global.html files are missing the test1.py
module from the 'errors/warnings by module' section.

Is this a bug, or just something I'm doing wrong or misunderstanding?