[code-quality] [Python-ideas] Implicit string literal concatenation considered harmful?

Rigel zedr at zedr.com
Sat May 11 16:28:52 CEST 2013

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Alexandre Fayolle ML
<afayolle.ml at free.fr>wrote:

> I'll typically use such wrapping on SQL statements:
>
> cursor.execute('SELECT foo, bar FROM mytable '
>
>                'WHERE baz = %(baz)s',
>
>                {'baz': baz})
>
> I prefer to use string concatenation using the 'addition' operator, which
makes it more explicit:

cursor.execute('SELECT foo, bar FROM mytable ' +

               'WHERE baz = %(baz)s',

               {'baz': baz})

At compile time, they are implemented in the same way:

>>> dis.dis(lambda: 'a' + 'a')
  2           0 LOAD_CONST               2 ('aa')
              3 RETURN_VALUE
>>> dis.dis(lambda: 'a' 'a')
  2           0 LOAD_CONST               1 ('aa')
              3 RETURN_VALUE

Rigel