[code-quality] Yet another metric

Tarek Ziadé tarek at ziade.org
Thu Apr 4 15:22:04 CEST 2013

On 4/4/13 3:14 PM, Ian Cordasco wrote:
> So I was just introduced to pyroma
> (https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyroma,
> https://bitbucket.org/regebro/pyroma) which would probably work nicely
> as a plugin to flake8 or just as a good metric in general.
>
> It doesn't exactly measure the quality of the code itself, BUT it does
> measure the quality of a package which I'm sure would be useful to
> some (if not many) of our users.
>
> I had never thought of analyzing a package for quality beyond it's
> source (in all candor), so I'm fairly excited about this tool.
Interesting

Except:

...If you are checking on a PyPI package, and not a local directory or
local package, pyroma will check the number of owners the package has on
PyPI. It should be three or more, to minimize the "Bus factor", the risk
of the index owners suddenly going off-line for whatever reason...

In reality, most companies/org use a single account on PyPI so you can't
tell how many developers are behind - so this check seems unpractical.

Note that I added a similar thing in python's distutils: the check command.

That reminds me of the CheeseCake btw : http://pycheesecake.org/

Tarek Ziadé · http://ziade.org · @tarek_ziade