[Chennaipy] ChennaiPy November Meeting Minutes

Kiran Gangadharan kiran.daredevil at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 06:49:14 CET 2014

*ChennaiPy November Meeting Minutes*

A total of 70 people attended this meetup. So we literally had a
classroom full of people.

Due to technical difficulties, the first talk(Introduction to
Selenium) has been postponed to the next meetup.

*A gentle introduction to Generators and Coroutines - Kiran*
*Gangadharan*

- Explains what makes a generator function different from that of any
  normal function and why/how they should be used.
- Talks about how coroutines are simply an enhanced version of
  generators, that can communicate with each other.

*Introductions*

- A curious bunch of people in general, some data mining and machine
learning
  enthusiasts.
- A few students trying out the language.
- Our guest, Nathan, a Core contributor to Sage[1].

*Introduction to SQLAlchemy - Shrayas Rajagopal*

- What is an ORM ? How does it help ?
- Explains why ORM is important and how it helps you to deal with
  databases
- Advantages and Disadvantages of ORM's (Leaky Abstractions-JS)
- dbapi
- A demo using iPython notebook to illustrate the use of sqlalchemy

Vijay reminds the audience about our website[2] and
mailing list.

*Fun with Pandas - Sharmila Gopirajan*

- 1st half - What Pandas is all about
- datastructures and common operations
- 2nd half - demo with real world dataset
- interesting insights from the Crunchbase dataset
- plotting the stats in a graph
- Pandas makes it easy to get interesting insights about your data
  with very less code and the friendliness of Python
- Author advocates Pandas Cookbook and SciPy conf(tutorial videos
  available online)

Vijay gives his vote of thanks to everyone who helped with
organizing the meetup. Next meetup most likely to be on Dec 20th.

[1] http://www.sagemath.org/
[2] http://chennaipy.org

--
Cheers,