[Catalog-sig] Deprecate External Links

Donald Stufft donald.stufft at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 22:39:19 CET 2013

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 4:17 PM, PJ Eby wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com (mailto:regebro at gmail.com)> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 5:34 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com (mailto:mal at egenix.com)> wrote:
> > > I'm not saying that it's not a good idea to host packages on PyPI,
> > > but forcing the community into doing this is not a good idea.
> > >

> > I still don't understand why not. The only reasons I've seen are
> > "Because they don't want to" or "because they don't trust PyPI". And
> > in the latter case I'm assuming they wouldn't use PyPI at all.
> >

> I haven't seen anybody mention it yet, but checkouts of development
> versions are a use case that can't currently be addressed without
> support for multiple external links. For example, setuptools itself
> offers SVN checkout URLs for two different branches. I've also seen
> in-development packages offered via github or bitbucket checkouts as
> well.

Is this http://svn.python.org/projects/sandbox/trunk/setuptools/#egg=setuptools-dev and
http://svn.python.org/projects/sandbox/branches/setuptools-0.6/#egg=setuptools-dev06 ?

I don't think they belong on the main repo page. Not every project supports this, and
the ones that do use varying names, is there anything wrong with just updating your
instructions to say instead of (please replace with easy_install lingo here)
`pip install setuptools==setuptools-dev` please `pip install -e http://svn.python.org/projects/sandbox/trunk/setuptools/#egg=setuptools-dev` ?

Alternatively if the extra typing is really not desired then I'd say let's add a separate
method (/dev/setuptools/ for example?) that only links these external development
urls. And update the tooling to check there via a --dev flag or something. I still
don't think needing to specify the full url is a terrible burden though.