[Catalog-sig] Pull request to migrate PyPI to bcrypt

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Mon Feb 11 13:05:48 CET 2013

Il giorno 11/feb/2013, alle ore 12:27, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Ok, that has to be made clear to the poor guy merging the PR
>
> I'm also fine with Christian's migration path; I share his concerns about your approach.

This is harder to fix. Christian's main concern is that he doesn't trust me and my proposed solution because he didn't see it elsewhere. I saw it mentioned many times around, but I think that, at the end of the day, that's a red herring: the point is that I'm not in his (and/or your) trust circle, but that's fine, we can still find a way around it. It's probably useless for me to keep arguing though.

I think that a migration path on login from an unsalted SHA1 is completely wrong, so I have a proposal: I will submit it if we agree on resetting all the passwords immediately; or within a short timeframe (eg: 2 months), and notify all the users to login once as soon as possible (so after 2 months we reset passwords of users who haven't logged in).

Would that work?
Giovanni Bajo   ::  rasky at develer.com
Develer S.r.l.  ::  http://www.develer.com

My Blog: http://giovanni.bajo.it