[Catalog-sig] Including GnuPG with packaging tools

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 10 22:25:28 CET 2013

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis <at> pitrou.net> writes:

> You want to post this on python-dev, not catalog-sig.
>
> Also, before inquiring about legal matters, it should first be decided
> whether it is desirable to ship our version of GnuPG, or not.
> (unless there has already been a thread about this and I've missed it )

If it were a discussion about whether Python itself should ship with GnuPG, I
would surely have raised it there. It's more about third-party tools like pip,
as Giovanni said, so I thought that catalog-sig or distutils-sig would be more
appropriate. The issues around GPG (and TUF) were already being discussed here.

It's still early in the discussion, so my email to the FSF was just a means of
exploring what options are available. It's too early to say whether it's a good
idea to ship GnuPG with any Python package, but there shouldn't be any FUD just
because the GPL and common Python package licenses aren't compatible.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip