[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] [Python-Dev] accept the wheel PEPs 425, 426, 427

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 13:04:57 CET 2012

On Nov 14, 2012, at 2:23 AM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:

> On 13 Nov, 2012, at 17:21, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>
>> Le Tue, 13 Nov 2012 16:10:30 +0100,
>> Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> a écrit :

>>> Why? Distutils may not be perfect, but is usable for basic packages.
>>> It could even be enhanced to support these peps and be even more
>>> useable, although patches for that would run into the self-imposed
>>> freeze of distutils development.
>>
>> It wouldn't be totally unreasonable to start a project named
>> "distutils2" to build the next-generation distutils library.
>>
>> Oops :-)
>
> Or carefully enhance distutils itself.  Rewriting distutils in one go seems
> to be too ambitious with the limited resources available to do so.

That has been tried already (setuptools, distribute, distutils2). Instead, try bento (http://cournape.github.com/Bento/).

Hilariously everyone I've showed it to is immediately put off by the indentation based syntax (who would use such a thing?) but the project has a few years of effort behind it and is well designed.