[Catalog-sig] disabling the serving of links from description_html?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Dec 18 17:46:52 CET 2012

On 18.12.2012 15:54, Holger Krekel wrote:
> Hi Richard, hi all,
>
> While reading the pypi main and other sources i wondered how we could
> switch off serving links from description_html, at least on a per-project
> basis.  It's really annoying that when you start to add some links to a
> long_description that installation of your package will thus slow down
> around the world.  Even if you remove the links from the next release.
>
> How could we arrange for a maintainer to communicate to the pypi-server
> that a particular project should not ever serve links from description_html
> (and maybe not even from the homepage while we are at it)?
>
> Preferably it should be something that can be done from existing setup.py
> files, like adding a special trove-classifier or keyword.  But a little
> custom tool or a web page form would be ok as well.
>
> If maintainers could easily switch off these extra links, then this means
> less stress for the pypi server and a global considerable speedup of
> installing python packages as often most of the pip/easy_install time is
> spent with checking out these URLs.

Are you sure about about this ?

AFAIK, setuptools/distribute only looks at links with rel="homepage"
or rel="download" attributes, not all links on the PyPI project page.
The links from the description don't receive such attributes.

See e.g. http://pypi.python.org/simple/pytest/

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 18 2012)
2012-12-14: Released mxODBC.Connect 2.0.2 ...     http://egenix.com/go38
2012-12-05: Released eGenix pyOpenSSL 0.13 ...    http://egenix.com/go37
2013-01-22: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                 35 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/