[Catalog-sig] PyPI trove classifiers for alternate language implementations

Michael Foord fuzzyman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 12:57:38 CET 2011

On 18 November 2011 08:31, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Am 15.11.2011 23:53, schrieb Michael Foord:
> > Whilst we're considering new classifiers - any word on this one?
>
> I lost track: what't the proposal, and what's the consensus?

Programming Language :: Python :: Implementation :: CPython
Programming Language :: Python :: Implementation :: PyPy
Programming Language :: Python :: Implementation :: Jython
Programming Language :: Python :: Implementation :: IronPython
Programming Language :: Python :: Implementation :: Stackless

There seemed to be agreement that classifiers for the different
implementations was useful.

M-A Lemburg suggested adding versions *as well*. Jean-Paul Calderone and I
thought it was unnecessary as Jython and IronPython are now using CPython
version numbers and different versions of all the implementations tend to
target a specific Python language version - for which we already have
classifiers.

M-A Lemburg disliked the the "Implementation" part of the classifier (he
was only -0 on it though). I think it is useful/necessary to have it to
disambiguate these implementations from other Python-like-languages (like
Cython and Shedskin) that can be used to write Python extensions. (As a
matter of correctness all of these implementations provide "the Python
programming language" and strive very hard indeed not to be distinct
programming languages...)

Nobody else weighed in on that particular topic.

All the best,

Michael Foord

--

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/