[Catalog-sig] PyPI looks down

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Sun May 22 17:13:54 CEST 2011

On 05/21/2011 01:58 PM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Carl Meyer wrote:
>> On 05/21/2011 03:00 AM, Chris Withers wrote:
>>> It install packages with C extensions yet?
>>
>> Sure, I do it every day. You just need a compiler.
>
> ... and all the external dependencies such a package may have.
>
> pip really needs to support a binary format to be more user
> friendly in this respect in order to completely replace
> easy_install and make use of all the eggs on PyPI.

I would like to see a resolution to http://bugs.python.org/issue8654
first; at the moment, I consider the use of binary packages on PyPI
broken (particularly for Python 3, which pip now supports), because the
finding mechanism can easily download an egg that doesn't work on your
build of Python.

If that issue were resolved and the binary package format reflected all
relevant ABI factors, I'd have to check with the other pip maintainers,
but as far as I'm concerned it would be a "patches welcome" situation
(provided the patch always unzipped the egg on installation, and made it
possible to opt out of using binary packages).

Carl