[Catalog-sig] PyPI's external packages

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon May 16 21:58:45 CEST 2011

On Mon, 16 May 2011, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Right, but the only way to find out is by downloading
> what you uploaded and testing that package :-)

Sure (and I do do that myself).  But finding out is one thing, and not
doing it in the first place is another.

> There are lots of things that can go wrong. In my experience,
> most of them are user errors, e.g. you forgot to update the
> MANIFEST file, bump the version, remove debug settings, etc.

Again, that's true.  But those risks can also be reduced, with separate
measures (automation).  It's still true that uploading the file you tested
is better than uploading a different file.

> That said, it's easy to get the upload command to use an
> already created distribution file for the upload: just
> add a new distutils command which sets .distribution.dist_files
> to what list of files you want to upload.
[...]

"Just" add a new distutils command?  ISTR distutils isn't very open to
that?  IWBNI if distutils (or some replacement for it -- distutils2?)
supported this out of the box.

John