[Catalog-sig] an immutable mirror of PyPI

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Wed Jul 6 06:20:03 CEST 2011

P.J. Eby wrote:
> At 08:56 PM 7/5/2011 +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Sure. Unacceptable interference with the freedom of package authors to
>> remove stuff. Unacceptable because developers need
>> the freedom to remove old versions of their software from the
>> internet. :)
>
> You still seem to be ignoring the part where insisting that people keep
> old things around for your convenience *also* means they get support
> requests from everyone *else* on the internet. In other words, a package
> author has to pay an (ongoing and perpetual) support cost for your
> temporary convenience.
>
> You are not making a principled moral stand here. Rather, you are asking
> that other people be made to carry an additional cost, for your benefit,
> on the basis that you don't think their cost is important, but you think
> your benefit is.

As a package author using PyPI for spreading my work for myself _and_
for other people implies that I take over a certain responsibility for

  - package quality and maturity
  - availability of my packages
  - reasonable metadata

If a package author won't stick with those principles then a general
hint to the author would be: stay away from PyPI and drop your package
crap somewhere else. I don't care if other people see it different but
PyPI must not be a place for autistic programmers that don't look left
and right to the needs of package users and don't care about PyPI and
general and that consider PyPI only  their own private package sink.

-aj