[Catalog-sig] API search by python version (or classifier)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jan 26 00:09:29 CET 2011

> searching capabilities (like searching by dependency),

I tried adding this functionality to PyPI, but it was shot down quickly
by many catalog-sig readers, see the thread starting at

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/catalog-sig/2010-September/003301.html

> a more intuitive notion of 'ranking'

You would have to be more specific: I don't understand what that is
(or how the current ranking is unintuitive)

Please be prepared that any changes to this feature likely get shot
down, also.

> an API for easy_install-like tools that don't require scraping

That's already available.

> I've written an application myself to provide PyPI-like features
> internally due to frustration in dealing with PyPI itself from a dev
> perspective. I gather that supporting external developers was probably
> not an initial design goal of PyPI. Is that still the case, or are there
> any concrete plans to enhance this side of the offering? I'd be willing
> to have a look and help out if there was some consensus around what
> direction things need to move.

PyPI already supports external developers. If the specific feature you
would want is not there, you would have to specify what that feature is,
and propose it to catalog-sig. If it doesn't get shot down, we can
ponder implementing it, in which case contributions would be welcome.