[Catalog-sig] "python 2 only" classifier

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 07:57:55 CET 2011

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 11:36:26PM +0100, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> > It'd be useful to have a Trove classifier that signified "the authors
> > have no current intention to port this code to Python 3".
>
> That classifier already exists: "Programming Language :: Python :: 2"
> indicates support for Python 2, and absence of "Programming Language ::
> Python :: 3" then indicates that this version lacks Python 3 support.
> I don't think classifiers should be used to indicate some intention of
> package authors, in particular since the intention may change, but
> past releases will not.

+1

Additionally, I'm not certain of the use case cited.  Isn't the utility of
a site like http://python3wos.appspot.com/ in seeing which popular or
widely depended upon packages have no python3 version?  With that in mind,
the listing on that page wouldn't seem to depend on whether a package's
author intends to port to python3.  It depends more on whether the package
has some well-known python3 counterpart that dependent code can be (easily?)
ported to use instead.  I'm thinking here of things like:

try:
    from simplejson import loads
except ImportError:
    from json import loads

Seems kind of a miscategorizaion to use the Programming Language ::
classifier for that.... Some sort of classifier that indicates that the
software is only relevant for a certain version of python seems better.

Looking at the existing catgories, maybe something like

Environment :: Python :: 2

would be appropriate.

(Although, ugh,I think that someone jumped the gun and added
  Programming Language :: Python :: 2 :: Only
without waiting for the results of this discussion to finish.  Not sure if
that can be reverted or if it's already too late.)

-Toshio