[Catalog-sig] How about a dedicated web service mirror?

Daniel Greenfeld pydanny at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 07:22:13 CEST 2011

Martin,

Thanks for this link but I'm not sure about what the entries mean.
Using some entries from SqlAlchemy as an example:

SQLAlchemy,SQLAlchemy-0.6beta2.tar.gz,z3c.pypimirror/1.0.15.1,3
SQLAlchemy,SQLAlchemy-0.6beta3.tar.gz,setuptools/0.6c11,1
SQLAlchemy,SQLAlchemy-0.6beta3.tar.gz,setuptools/0.6c9,1
SQLAlchemy,SQLAlchemy-0.6beta3.tar.gz,z3c.pypimirror/1.0.15.1,3

I guess the first column is the package identifier, the second is the
file + ???, and the fourth column the download count? Am I close?

Is there any formal documentation for this portion of PyPI? I'm know
this is easier on PyP's server but I'm hesitant to interact with an
undocumented data source. If documentation doesn't exist for it, I'm
happy enough to write the formal documentation once I understand it.

Also, other tools are using the XMLRPC API to make large requests
against PyPI. http://pypi.python.org/pypi/vanity and
http://pypi.appspot.com come to mind.

Thanks!

Danny