[Catalog-sig] The "Softpedia" spam

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri May 7 01:33:46 CEST 2010

2010/5/7 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
>> If they use PubSubHubbub, maybe we could set up a black list of
>> subscribers people can manage at their level,
>> if they reconstruct the emails by reading the RSS feed, maybe we
>> should not publish this info (even with  the @ transformed into " at
>> ").
>
> I don't think we should stop announcing new releases on the web site,
> and, as long as we do, people can setup automated actions. People keep
> asking for being notified, so I don't think the need for that will go
> away, either. IOW, it is a good thing that automated reactions to new
> releases are actually possible.

No one asked for stopping announcing the new releases. Having those automated
reaction is of course a good thing !

I just said that making it more secure would prevent spammers.

e.g. differentiate "people" from spammers.

> Now, with respect to these specific email messages: I agree they are
> spam, and would support to see that stopped. However, I don't think
> technical means are the right reaction. Instead, we should send them an
> email message asking them to stop. Feel free to approach them.

I don't think asking a spammer to stop spamming is the real solution.

PyPI and the PSF should protect its pypi.python.org users as much as possible,
here, and I still think it has to be addressed by making it harder for spammers
to bother us.

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org