[Catalog-sig] Proposal: Move PyPI static data to the cloud for better availability (version 2)

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 17:05:53 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 4:39 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
[..]
> Competing with PEP 381
> ----------------------
>
> A few PEP 381 developers have stated that this proposal would limit
> the interest in PEP 381 implementations and argue that the proposal
> would compete with their proposed strategy.

You can replace a "few" with the "PEP 381 authors" here.

> Just to clarify, this proposal does not try to compete with the mirror
> proposal outlined in PEP 381. Instead it focuses on a readily
> available solution that can be implemented in a few days and only
> requires little additional system administration.

I still disagree with this statement, it fully competes with PEP 381.

Your proposal and PEP 381 are both trying to solve the same issue.

In fact, I could copy-paste your "Motivation" section and put it in PEP 381 :)

> In order to further underline this, the proposal will be presented to
> the board for approval in their August board meeting (currently
> scheduled for August 16), giving the PEP 381 developers more time to
> work and improve their PEP 381 client implementations.

As I said earlier, the mirroring work was not finished because of a
lack of resource
and time. Giving us a deadline before you make your proposal is not
really helping.

That's like saying: "if you can finish your PEP 381 thing before
august, great. If not
we will implement the other proposal, but with the help and resources
provided by the PSF."

So you are just underlining that your solution is faster to implement here.

If you really want to compare both solutions, this section should
compare pro's and con's instead, and think of the best long term
solution for the community.

I still think that setting up a cloud doesn't solve anything, you will
still have to have a sysadmin behind a computer if something goes
wrong. And this will happen in the cloud as well, as I don't think
it's the silver bullet.

Furthermore, the outage where not as bad as you describe in your PEP.
You should give the real numbers in your document, and calculate the
availability percentage.
instead of "several outages". So far, PyPI is more reliable than
Twitter I think :)  (a few days / years)

Regards,
Tarek
--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org