[Catalog-sig] [Proposal] Registered packages must provide the source code distribution on PyPI

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Jun 18 04:21:16 CEST 2010

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 02:58:31 am Andreas Jung wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 09:20:55 pm Patrick Gerken wrote:
> >> Not putting the source release on pypi is just one indicator of
> >> crappy software.
> >
> > Yeah, like that infamous example of crappy software, Numpy.
> >
> > http://pypi.python.org/pypi/numpy/1.4.1
>
> What's wrong with this package? It seems properly packaged, has
> proper metadata....?

And it is hosted on Sourceforge.

But you're right, there is nothing wrong with the package. That includes
the fact that it's hosted external to PyPI. Why should we force numpy
to change? Whatever their reasons for hosting on Sourceforge, it is
their package and their choice and we should respect that and not try
to dictate where they host it.

--
Steven D'Aprano