[Catalog-sig] [Proposal] Registered packages must provide the source code distribution on PyPI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Jun 17 23:21:53 CEST 2010

> I don't care if it has a name and a version number. I was not able
> to work on my project - other co-workers also complained...this
> is a not acceptable situation...as Python geek I can likely deal with
> that, others can't :)

Then complain to the python-openid authors. It's their fault that the
package is unavailable, not PyPI's.

> We had such issues over and over again over the last years.
> A typical Zope/Plone installation requires over hundred different
> packages and we have seen such failures with external servers
> various times. The workaround was creating PyPI mirrors, project related
> mirrors or download caches....just workarounds but not really a reliable
> and working infrastructure..

So go through and ask the authors of all these packages to upload to
PyPI. Some may comply, others may not.

But first and foremost: reduce the set of dependencies. I see a
ridiculous growth in dependencies. Consider rewriting small pieces of
code instead of depending on a huge library just for a little function.