[Catalog-sig] Recent PyPI changes

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jul 27 21:38:54 CEST 2010

Am 27.07.2010 11:25, schrieb Alexis Metaireau:
> On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 09:52 +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
>> there is now a way to request release information in JSON,
>>>   see http://tinyurl.com/38lefsp
> That's indeed cool, and useful, but we can't rely on this while
> crawling, too bad this JSON is not replicated on the mirrors.
>
> It could help a lot, since there is currently no way to request the
> metadatas statically in others way that downloading the distribution
> archives and extracting them. (we also could use xmlrpc, but that's not
> static).

That's not true - you can also use the DOAP records.

> What's the process I have to follow in order to get this mirrored ? Does
> that sounds good for you ? IOW, whats needed to have this as a
> requirements for mirrors?

Discuss on catalog-sig, then propose a change to PEP 381.

Notice it is out of scope for the objective of the PEP, though, which
is to support continued operation of setuptools-style tools in case of
a PyPI outage. I'm not sure what kind of application you have in mind
where replication of JSON files would help in case of some failure.