[Catalog-sig] Proposal to Reverse Ordering of Scraped Links in PyPI

Alexis Metaireau ametaireau at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 18:49:21 CEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 12:12 -0400, P.J. Eby wrote:

> > > For some time now, easy_install uses the '/simple' index (specifically
> > > intended for automated tools' consumption), rather than the human-oriented
> > > pages.  Among other benefits, the /simple index can be served or mirrored
> > > statically, rather than being generated anew on each hit.
> >
> >To my understanding, simple index version encoding cannot be reliable
> >(see [1], about this time: 2010-07-21T10:07:02 ).
> >
> >However, json interface sounds like a good trade-off here.
> >
> >Konrad
> >

> >[1] http://weblion.psu.edu/chatlogs/%23distutils/2010/07/21.txt

Konrad, what i was saying last time was about the way Michael Foord have
added -py* at the end of his archives, to try making them only retrieved
for python versions == py-*, IIRC.

For this, I think the simple index is not a good way to get this kind of
informations, as these python special versions distributions are not
easy to encode in an archive name, and as there is no defined shceme to
parse them in order to get this kind of informations, IIRC. It could be
for one python version, not for something like (python <= 2.4 and =<
2.7).

> So, it's quite possible that the changes broke things that the
> original in setuptools was doing
I'd try to don't break things as possible :)

Cheers,
Alex