[Catalog-sig] PEP 345 Update

Alexis Métaireau alexis at notmyidea.org
Thu Aug 26 08:11:42 CEST 2010

 Le 08/25/2010 09:08 PM, M.-A. Lemburg a écrit :
> I guess that's where part of the misunderstanding originates:
> the type of conflict can be many things and may well only
> show up in certain applications using the packages, but
> not necessarily all of them.
>
> At the very least, there should be an extra field "Conflict-Description"
> which describes the type of conflict to the user and then lets him or
> her decide whether the conflict is a problem or not for the intended
> use.
This sounds like a good idea to have something to output to the user, in
order to let him resolve the conflict the right way.

> I have a feeling that the introduction of this field originated
> from some application space problem that you're trying to fix
> at the package level.
Tarek, any hints about the origin of this field ? (conflict)
> Also note that a the use cases you and others have mentioned can
> easily be solved using meta-packages and dependencies on these or
> by the installer checking whether there are module name or
> file conflicts (i.e. two packages wanting to install the same
> module or create the same file).
True. Maybe need we to make a complex packaging example, with good
practices to follow, and an companion document for this purpose, as good
packaging solutions seems to be non-obvious for end users.