[Catalog-sig] More problems with the comments system...

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Nov 25 15:43:09 CET 2009

This stems from a user of the type all the package maintainers have been
complaining about, and the reason why want the commenting and rating
system to be optional, that occurred here:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zope.app.sqlscript/3.5.0

If PyPI wants to be a threaded discussion system, it needs to get a
whole lot better:

- So, originally, the rater was bitten by by this bug:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2881546&group_id=66150&atid=513503

- When questioned as to why he'd rated the package as zero, he put up a
fairly meaningless collection of bullet points (exactly what a lot of us
have been complaining about)

- The comment turned into a big long threaded discussion with a lot of
people commenting, and comments appearing on comments (another thing
we've been complaining about)

- The whiner, *cough* I mean rater, then decided he didn't like the
comments suggesting he use the right mailing list and/or asking him to
explain his nonsensical bullet list and so deleted the whole thread,
replacing it with his nonsensical bullet point list. (So now the
comments pointing to the right mailing lists can't be found by anyone,
and all the work done by people trying to help this individual is lost,
nice...)

- Because I'm marked as a "Package Index Owner", I can't rate or
independently comment on this package, even though I'm not its
maintainer, I'm just someone who's volunteered to take responsibility
for releasing a load of zope-related eggs when no-one else is around.

*sigh*

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk