[Catalog-sig] [Python-Dev] PyPI front page

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Nov 13 02:33:27 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Ben Finney <ben+python <at> benfinney.id.au> writes:
> >
> > There's a problem with the poll's placement: on the front page of the
> > PyPI website.
>
> Speaking of which, why is it that http://pypi.python.org/pypi and
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ (note the ending slash) return different
> contents
> (the latter being very voluminous)? I always mistake one for the other when
> entering the URL directly.

easy_install replied on the behavior of /pypi/ (it uses the long list to do
case-insensitive searches).  Someone changed it, easy_install broke, and a
compromise was to keep /pypi/ the way it was (but not /pypi).

Probably this could be removed, as the /simple/ index is already
case-insensitive, so easy_install shouldn't have to hit /pypi/ at all.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |
http://topplabs.org/civichacker