[Catalog-sig] New fields in the Metadata for PyPI

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 23:42:45 CET 2009

2009/12/2 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
[..]
> For Python, it somewhat unfortunate that there is a tradition of
> "newest documentation". When the documentation format changed, many
> URLs broke - something that would not have happened when all URLs
> had been versioned.

Are you suggesting that packages.python.org should be versioned ?

[..]
>> IOW, if PyPI display only keeps the latest home page for the project,
>> and the latest urls
>
> But it doesn't: e.g.
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyUMLGraph
>
> displays all non-hidden versions of the package. It defaults to the
> most recent version only if all other versions are marked as hidden.

Hold on... marking the old versions as hidden is the default PyPI behavior.
You have shown a specific example here.

If you upload new versions, previous ones will be hidden by default,
and we are landing on the newest version. That's the vast majority of
the projects at PyPI
AFAIK.

>> that should be enough for all projects : they can point in their own
>> documentation to older documentation.
>
> I'm not sure package authors would like that.

I'm not sure what you mean.

AFAIK the new "packages.python.org" is not versioned: if I upload a
doc, the previous
one is gone.

On the long_description front, the default behavior is to display the
latest one, and if you are not logged in,
*there's no link to older versions*

See that page : http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute  (that's the
way most projects are presented)

But we are moving away from what I have proposed at the PEP level
here, and just discussing
the current PyPI behaviour:

    I have suggested that we should mark in the PEP some fields are
being per-project, and let
    PyPI display them on every pages related to that project.

Regards
Tarek