[Catalog-sig] SourceForge mirroring

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Aug 26 08:12:28 CEST 2009

> So, here's my proposal, we could mirror any open source packages on
> pypi onto the sourceforge.net mirror network.   We can get most of the
> data we need from the DOAP feed, and we could get the rest from
> crawling the site, though it would be great if we could add an api for
> getting the files for a project and perhaps a bit more project
> metadata from pypi directly.

I think the APIs are all there already. Please take a look at PEP 381;
this is the propotocol that PyPI mirrors should follow.

Please don't consider crawling the site - there are much better ways
to get the data.

P.S. Please don't take that as an offense: SourceForge is not on
the record for having a reliable and performant infrastructure. So
if a mirror on SF would look like the current sf.net and its download
facility, I'm skeptical that users would want to use it.