[Catalog-sig] PyPI Enhancements (was: permissive trove classification)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jan 4 23:24:39 CET 2008

> As discussed earlier, I have started to gather in a wiki page the ideas on
> enhancing multiple servers support in Disutils, and the changes needed in
> Distutils and PyPI code.
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/EnhancedPyPI
>
> I will continue the work in it after it has been commented,
>
> Please comment !

Here you go:

"when PyPI is down or slow" - I believe I have worked a lot
and successfully in making sure that this actually doesn't happen.
For the last several months, PyPI wasn't slow, and it wasn't
down for any significant period of time.

"several sections" - how do you use it from distutils, or
setuptools?

"When a user call register or uplad with such a file, it will be asked
for each server wheter he wants to perform the action over it."
I don't understand that sentence. What is "such" a file?
(wheter->whether, it will -> he will)

"Making PyPI permissive" - it's not clear whether you want PyPI to
store these additional classifiers or not. If PyPI is required
to store them, be prepared that the changes to PyPI will be
*very* difficult to implement. If PyPI is allowed to discard them,
I see a number of alternatives:
a) make a list of "extra_classifiers" in setup.py, which a server
   is free to discard.
b) give the list of extra classifiers in .pypirc, per server.
   distutil's register command would then drop all classifiers
   which are listed as server specific, unless registering with
   that selected server

"Providing a base layer". It's not clear to me what that actually
means. PyPI *does* have a separation of webui and store, so it
is layered. Not sure what you are asking for.