[Catalog-sig] licensing and accessability of code on pypi

Joachim König-Baltes joachim.koenig-baltes at emesgarten.de
Thu Aug 28 16:30:27 CEST 2008

Today I got aware of pySSH_Monitor through my RSS reader. Trying to download
the code by clicking on the download link on pypi I got redirected to
www.pypi.info
that requires registration through invitation only (by whoom anyway?).

Looking a bit closer at the licensing information on pypi for the
package, the licensing is very restrictive,
e.g.

- "may not be used for any commercial purpose whatsoever ..."
- as long as "... there was never any intent to use this package to
generate any income of any kind."
- "...may not redistribute this package without prior written permission
from the author."

see below for details.

Is this kind of licensing something that is intended for
pypi.python.org? I tried to find
some guidelines for this when uploading stuff, but did not find hints.

What's the community's opinion on that?

Joachim

PS: Excerpt from the pypi.python.org  page of pySSH_Monitor below:
> pySSH_Monitor 1.0
>
> pySSH_Monitor monitors your SSH logins to make sure they are functional.
>
> pySSH_Monitor monitors your SSH logins to make sure they are functional.
>
> Features:
>
> wxPython powered GUI with system tray icon that shows the status of
> the monitored systems.
>
> Emails sent to the appropriate addresses whenever there is a problem.
>
> See also: http://www.pypi.info
>
> Disclaimer: The author of this program makes no warranty as to the
> suitability of this program for any purpose whatsoever nor is there
> any warranty to as to whether this program will be able to properly
> handle your specific needs.
>
> (c). Copyright 2007-2008, Ray C Horn (raychorn at hotmail.com) and
> Hierarchical Applications Limited, Inc., All Rights Reserved.
>
> This software package and all contents contained herein may not be
> used for any commercial purpose whatsoever however it may be used for
> educational purposes so long as the end-goal or end-product is of a
> non-commercial purpose and there was never any intent to use this
> package to generate any income of any kind.
>
> You may not redistribute this package without prior written permission
> from the author.
[...] additional long detailed license text not copied