[Catalog-sig] Cheeseshop performance improved

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Jun 26 02:41:56 CEST 2007

On Jun 25, 2007, at 6:01 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> think that another short term thing to try would be to put PyPI on
>> its
>> own machine to protect it from Wiki load. I don't know if this will
>> help, but it might be worth trying.
>
> Unfortunately, that's not a short-term solution.

Or at least not a quick solution.

> It takes a lot of
> effort (one day) to migrate the installation, and there are no
> volunteers that have that much free time available. I, myself,
> am booked until February 2008, at which point I might be able
> to perform the migration of the installation to a new machine.

Yeah, I was a bit afraid of that.   I think that about 2/3 of the
effort of implementing baking is getting enough knowledge to create a
development/testing environment. What you're talking about is comerable.

> I dislike the wording "protect from the Wiki load", though.
> I'm not so certain who needs protection from whom, here;
> I personally consider the Wiki of equal importance for the
> Python community as the Cheeseshop (I personally use it more
> than the Cheeseshop).

Of course, I didn't mean to cast dispersions on the wiki.  They're
probably both important enough to have their own machines.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org