[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jul 12 00:56:01 CEST 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 6:23 PM, Richard Jones wrote:
> ps. why is it I keep on reading this undercurrent of "pypi doesn't
> do exactly
> what we need, so let's write a new one" and not "let's just add
> some more
> functionality to pypi so it does exactly what we need"... Is there
> something
> written somewhere, or even implied, that PyPI is somehow a closed
> development? If there is, I really need to strongly reiterate -
> PyPI will
> *always* be completely open for new developers. Please see the wiki
> page
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopDev for further information.

I don't think anyone wants to write an alternative.  Well, maybe
there are people like that, but you aren't reading them here.  Why
would people spend time arguing about requirements, performance, etc,
if they wanted to write their own.

Some people are being forced to implement their own indexes because
they've become dependent on PyPI and PyPI just hasn't been there for
them lately.  I'm pretty sure they don't want to maintain alternate
indexes in the long term.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org