[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jul 11 22:08:33 CEST 2007

> There are plenty of folks who have offered to spend funds, provide
> hosting, etc. for PyPI mirrors or alternatives -- perhaps we should
> create a SIG to start figuring out *how* to provide that, ideally while
> creating the least amount of additional service burden on the Cheeseshop.

This makes me suspicious. I can certainly believe that you may need more
sheer processing power, or more bandwidth, for such a system than the
current PyPI installation has to offer.

What I don't see why you need to implement something *different*. If
you need better queries - fine, add them to PyPI. If you need
replication, load balancing, etc, please add it to PyPI. If you
have a way faster machine, migrate PyPI to that machine. That
is all possible, but assumes availability of volunteers. However,
the approach "let's create a different system" *also* needs
volunteers. So I'd rather have these volunteers contribute to
a single system, instead of each of them building their own one.

With the particular offer of a faster machine, *all* it needs
is a volunteer who first migrates and then maintains the
installation. Of course, that would involve responsibility for
all of PyPI (i.e. also dealing with abandoned packages that
somebody else takes over, adding new classifiers, etc) (I
say that because that aspect also lacks volunteers in the
current installation).