[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jul 10 07:33:46 CEST 2007

> Yes, in order to find the correct spelling for a package's name.  If a
> user types, say "pylons" when the package is listed on PyPI as "Pylons",
> setuptools looks at the root after the lookup of /pypi/pylons fails.

I don't understand. How does it help to look at /pypi in this case?
The right spelling of Pylons is not listed there, unless there was
a release of Pylons recently.

If you want to correct the spelling, you need to look at

http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=index

> A case-insensitive match by safe_name would be ideal, and could also be
> used to prevent users from registering packages whose names differ only
> by case or punctuation.

Would it be acceptable to do an HTTP redirect in that case, ie.
redirect /pypi/pylons/0.9.5 to /pypi/Pylons/0.9.5? I would not
want to have multiple URLs to render the same page, in general
(I know it already does that in some cases).

I can see how lower-casing helps; I'm doubtful about replacing
spaces. I.e. why is it better to look for

python-ftp-server-library--pyftpdlib-

than

Python FTP server library (pyftpdlib)

IOW, if you have a mis-spelling of the latter, what are the
chances that it is so misspelled that the safe_name is still
the former? Shouldn't the package owner just correct the
package name, to pyftpdlib, and put the other string into
the summary?

In any case, if it where postgres 8.1 or later, I could simply do

select name from packages where
regexp_replace(lower(name),'[^a-z0-9.]','-')='gnosis-utilities';

to do the lookup; with 7.4, I would have to download all names
and do the safe matching myself.