[Catalog-sig] PyPI overloaded(?)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Oct 17 20:08:35 CEST 2006

Ben Bangert schrieb:
> I'll volunteer to help out in maintenance. I'm in agreement with Jim
> that PyPI definitely needs some sort of mirror system.

I'm not so sure this is the definite answer. If the system is
overloaded, it might be because it consumes too many resources itself
(in which case mirroring wouldn't help), or because something else
on the machine is consuming too many resources (in which case the
installation should be moved elsewhere entirely).

Mirroring it is quite a challenge, as you have to consider write
operations to the mirror. I think efforts should first go into
improving the performance.

> While I currently
> advocate that people using setuptools based installations maintain their
> own egg repo in case PyPI is unavailable, it'd be great to have mirrors.
> On a side-note, I don't know who maintains PyPI now, but thank you for
> the great job, for a single un-mirrored site, the reliability thus far
> has been great.

It's the primary author, Richard Jones. To my knowledge, he does both
source code improvements, as well as maintaining the installation.
You might want to start with creating an installation on a test machine
and study its performance.