[Catalog-sig] PyPI enhancement doc

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu May 26 04:01:47 CEST 2005

On Wed, 25 May 2005 10:17:34 -0500, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
>Jp Calderone wrote:
>> Why not just svn_url, taking on values like
>> "svn://svn.twistedmatrix.com/svn/Twisted/tags/2.0.1/@13844" or
>> "svn://svn.twistedmatrix.com/svn/Twisted/trunk/@HEAD"?
>
>I hadn't seen the @ syntax before.  Does that work with svn natively,
>for all the protocols svn supports?
>
>Also, I don't really see a way to distinguish between the two.  And
>/tags/2.0.1/@HEAD seems like a more appropriate URL for the tag, since
>the directory (not the revision number) indicates the release; in theory
>(or by convention) the revision and the tag are identical in svn, but a
>branch could have updates to HEAD that actually apply to the given revision.

  Hmmm, my mistake, I think.  I thought it was general svn URL syntax, but it seems to be a special form just for the diff and merge commands.

  Still, if you think the logically right thing to do is to always use @HEAD, then the whole @ bit can be omitted, and it could just be svn_url=".../trunk" and svn_url=".../tags/2.0.1/", since HEAD is the implied revision in those cases.

  The reason I prefer @REV when looking at tags is that tags can be deleted.  In such cases, trying to look at them @HEAD does not work, but trying to look at them at @REV, where REV is a revision at which they existed, does.  But that's moot since it seems it won't work :)

  Jp