[Catalog-sig] (no subject)

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri May 6 21:02:41 CEST 2005

JanC wrote:
>>On 5/5/05, Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:
>>
>>>In other words, Python has "DLL hell" and there isn't a damned thing
>>>that a system package manager can do about it other than say "sorry,
>>>you can't install FooBar and CheeseFactory at the same time, because
>>>FooBar needs BazWibble 1.0 and CheeseFactory needs BazWibble 2.0".
>>>
>>>Therefore, there needs to be some mechanism to install stuff to an
>>>"app-packages" because it's not always possible or appropriate to put
>>>everything in "site-packages".
>

> wxPython has solved this more or less with a mechanism that people
> allows to use the default version or a specific version.if they want,
> with something like this:
>
> import wxversion
> wxversion.select("2.4")
> import wx

Python Eggs also address this, like:

   require("Twisted-Internet>=2.0")
   import twisted.internet

More on Eggs:

   http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PythonEggs

They also aren't really "installed", except at runtime by adding them to
sys.path.

I've only played around with them a little, but it's an interesting way
to handle things.  It feels like it resolves (through avoidance) a lot
of issues of centralized installation.  But this moves things into the
scope of distutils-sig: http://www.python.org/sigs/distutils-sig/