[Catalog-sig] python repository

kapil thangavelu k_vertigo@yahoo.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:57:23 -0800

On Tuesday 26 February 2002 04:37 pm, you wrote:
> Kapil Thangavelu wrote:
>

> Looks great! Good work.
>
> My only backseat driver suggestion is to get it live sooner rather than
> later. CPAN is a massive hack and also Perl's killer feature at the same
> time. As I'm sure you know, the Python world's biggest flaw is waiting
> for things to be perfect before deploying. I'm not accusing you of this
> because I haven't been following closely enough to know...I'm just
> making a random observation.

hi paul,

i'm all for releasing it as soon as its ready, buts it not ready yet. the
biggest things before its useable i  think are, the Package handling needs
some work (specifically the dependency info, hooking up the parsers for the
alternative metadata formats, taking md5 snapshots, storing distribution
files on the fs), defining the security model (which is currently
off/non-existent), getting a better look and feel, and making the cookie
based authentication more secure. most everything else can be added to a
running installation. regarding look and feel, i've been in contact with a
designer (the guy who did the css/html for http://plone.org and
http://moz.zope.org) who's agreed to help out.

thanks

kapil