[Borgbackup] TAM authentication issue

Catalin Bucur cata at geniusnet.ro
Thu Oct 19 05:44:54 EDT 2023

On 16.10.2023 17:48, Thomas Waldmann wrote:
> Well, I doubt that.
> The error msg you quoted does not exist in <= 1.2.4.
>
> Maybe you have multiple borg versions installed in misc. paths?
> Or some automated upgrade happened you did not notice yet?
>
> "borg -V" on the client side will tell you the version.
>
> Be careful: different users might have different search PATH set.

I suspect that the problem is related to what Felix Schwarz said, the
borg executable in CentOS EPEL could be modified, even if it displays
version 1.1.18

>>   - the solution to avoid losing those archives is to run the
>> commands with the "BORG_WORKAROUNDS" switch, using client version 1.2.4?
>
> You need to run the commands from the upgrade notes in the changelog
> using borg >= 1.2.6. Versions <= 1.2.4 do not know all the commands
> needed.
>
> BTW, version 1.2.5 had issues, this is why I released 1.2.6 a day later.

On CentOS 7 I also installed the borg executable version 1.2.4, but I
don't know if it is better to run the command "borg upgrade --tam
--force [...]" using the modified 1.1.18 version or would it be better
with the "original" 1.2.4 version.
And I also wonder if it is not too late to repair those archives,
considering what is written in the docs and what means 1.1.18 modified
version: "Do not run borg check with borg > 1.2.4 before completing the
upgrade steps."

Thank you,

Catalin Bucur