[Borgbackup] Problem: multiple repos with same ID

Default User hunguponcontent at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 14:59:21 EDT 2023

Hello!

How many times have you heard this one before . . .

I am using Borg Version 1.2.4 on Debian 12 (Bookworm) Stable, on a
local x86 64-bit computer.

I normally use Vorta 0.8.0-10 as a front end to Borg.  Both Borg and
Vorta are .debs, not flatpaks, snaps, or appimages, and are the current
versions from the Debian Stable repositories.

I have two separate but identical repositories backed up separately, as
suggested in the Borg documentation.  I will call them Repository_1 and
Repository_2. Both repositories are on a local usb hard drive (sda).

Both repositories are then backed up to another local usb hard drive
(sdb), using rsync.

I don't know what happened, but last night, when I did:

borg -v info [Repository_1 path on (sda)]

I got the notorious message:

"Cache, or information obtained from the security directory is newer
than repository - this is either an attack or unsafe (multiple repos
with same ID)"

[Repository_2 path on (sda)] tests okay.
[Repository_ path on (sdb)] and [Repository_2 path on (sdb)] both seem
to be okay.

Per the Borg 1.2.4 documentation, I did:

borg delete --keep-security-info [Repository_1 path on (sda)], then:
rsync -aH [Repository_1 path on (sdb)]/ [Repository_1 path on (sda)].
(Yes I did be sure to put a backslash after the source directory path).

I still got the same error message.

I ran:
borg -v check [Repository_1 path on (sda)].
No problems were detected.  so, (I hope) the data is okay.

In /home/[user]/.config/borg there are a number of folders, all with
which  seem to be hexadecimal folder names. Two of these hexadecimal-
named folders each contain a file named "location", which holds the
identical [Repository_1 path(sda)] entry.

But the two hexadecimal-named folders each have a different 16-digit
hexadecimal number entry in their "nonce" files.

They also have different entries in the "manifest-timestamp" files.
The first "manifest-timestamp" file says: 2023-02-05T03:30:05.967949
The second "manifest-timestamp" file says: 2023-07-19T01:21:01.098864

Is there a way to "repair" [Repository_1 path(sda)]?
Or, if not, is there a way to make [Repository_1 path(sda)] a
"duplicate" of [Repository_2 path(sda)], or [Repository_2 path on
(sdb)], both of which are believed to be okay?