[Borgbackup] Prune too much?

D.T. ohnonot-github at posteo.de
Wed Apr 27 00:40:56 EDT 2022

Hello,
thanks for another great piece of FOSS!

I have been using borg (1.2.0) succesfully for a few years now (on
Archlinux, for this question). Seperate weekly repos for each
partition, a script that iterates through them all.

It prunes the archives like this:
borg prune --stats --list -w 7 -m 7 -y 1 "$backup"

Now there's one repository for a partition on a hard drive that is now
missing, has been for a while, but it took me a while to catch up and
remove it from the array of backup repositories on my script.

I now noticed that of 15 archives in the repo, only 1 (the oldest)
contains actual data, all others are empty.
The oldest & only archive containing data is 1.5y old; I'm not 100%
sure, but I think I still used the partition in question after that,
and if I did I definitely added new files.

I am slightly worried: could 'borg prune' ever result in a situation
where I'm left with only empty archives? Or where it prunes the most
recently added data?

Thanks again,

D.T.

PS:
The script sets the variables
export BORG_UNKNOWN_UNENCRYPTED_REPO_ACCESS_IS_OK=yes
export BORG_RELOCATED_REPO_ACCESS_IS_OK=yes
I don't think it's relevant though...

___

Vaccines for everyone!
Donate to the COVAX alliance: