[Borgbackup] Disaster Recovery or backup of backup

Felix Schwarz felix.schwarz at oss.schwarz.eu
Mon May 10 07:53:24 EDT 2021

Am 10.05.21 um 13:39 schrieb Oliver Hoffmann:
>>> Simply rsyncing all folders to a nas or something and setting up a new
>>> borg server won't work
>>
>> Why?
>
> As I understood that way you can't access your backups anymore, because
> the repos are encrypted by the server which made the backups.

Well you can also copy the repo-specific secret key to a save location and load
that key to the machine which needs to restore from that borg repo :-)

>>> and two independent backups as suggested means to
>>> much traffic for the network as well as for some clients. There is
>>> simply not enough time for a double backup.
>>
>> Did you actually try that? Except the first backup, backups are usually
>> rather quick and not causing much traffic.

You might have to look at remote storage replication if you really have too much
data to backup. Keep in mind that restoring from a borg backup also needs some
time as borg does not utilize all server cores so restoring a couple of TB will
take a while.

Felix