[Borgbackup] borg prune crashing: AttributeError: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'items'

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Tue Nov 10 06:56:09 EST 2020

>> So, I'ld bet you had / have a RAM issue on your backup client.
>>
>> memtest86+ results?
>
> It's a VM on server with ECC ram and no ECC errors logged in syslog/observium.
>   Granted how parity works, it's possible, but unlikely.

Agreed, possible but unlikely.

>> But you could just follow the advisory now, if unsure.
>
> I am doing so.  This is the only server giving issues, the others have been
> fine after moving to 1.1.14.
>> If your repo index is corrupt and points to the wrong place in the
>> segment files, borg might read invalid data and unpacking that might
>> also lead to unexpected tuples...
>

> Ok I have done this and get the below, but haven't run --repair yet as it gave
> a rather unnerving message about am I really, really sure, here be dragons, etc.

We've recently changed that message from "experimental" (which it is not
really any more) to "potentially dangerous" (which is true although it
usually works).

But if you can't afford to lose the repo, make a copy of it.

Advisory to follow:

https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/changes.html#pre-1-1-11-potential-index-corruption-data-loss-issue

>> root at web1:~# borg check -v
>> Did not get expected metadata dict when unpacking item metadata (not a dictionary) [chunk: 000385_2c270a4e6dd4f70477ff2e74be5d6961f763ddb8e17222ab7db2a33d56cea59e]

That chunks seems broken. Or the index points to the wrong place for
that chunk.

Guess we could add the check emitting this message also at the place
where it crashed for you.

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393