[Borgbackup] Borg filling local disk completely during backup

Simon Hoffmann czvhcflh1ruo5q61 at sh00.de
Sat May 16 11:13:14 EDT 2020

> > Looking at the drive, I found ~50 GB files in /root/.cache/borg/xxx/chunks.archive.d. (yes, borg runs as root)
>
> This is documented, search the docs for chunks.archive.dir and the misc.
> BORG_*_DIR settings.

Yeah, but I'm still not really sure why this happened. For weeks, the disk usage did
not change at all (and thus chunks.archive.d dig not get any bigger), and all of a
sudden borg uses that directory and fills up the entire disk within minutes.

So I'm not looking at a slight increase of disk usage over time (I monitored the disk
usage), but of a sudden increase where the chunks.archive.d gets as big as the data
that needs to be backed-up.

The only thing I could find about chunks.archive.d in the manual was in
internals/data-structure. So the reason for this behaviour is that all of a sudden
the whole repo became corrupted and borg had to rebuild all indices?

> Also, you can "borg prune" to have less backups. The more backups you
> keep, the bigger that directory might get.

As I said, I deliberately had a high threshold for pruning, but disk usage never
increased before. I have, however, now revised my pruning settings and will keep less
archives in the future.

I have now created a second repo to backup the server again, but I would still like
to know why this happened.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Simon