[Borgbackup] Prune and backup failure

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Mon Oct 21 18:02:08 EDT 2019

> I had an issue with BB ; I don't know if it comes from the serveur or
> the client but it is not the first time, last time was a few months ago
> and the only solution I found to cure that was to erase this machine's
> repo and make another backup.

You could also try borg check [--repair].

> 	FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> 	'/BORG/data/0/510'
> (/BORG is where the repo is NFS mounted)
>
> Effectively, this file doesn't exist in the repo.

OK, so there can be multiple causes:

- assuming the repo index is valid and the file should be there: you
have lost (at least) 1 file somehow.

- the repo index is somehow invalid and pointing to a wrong segment file.

- your fs (NFS) is not working correctly / reliably

> Manifest.load(repository, compatibility)

BTW, the missing segment seems to have the manifest (directory of archives).

That's one of the last segment files produced in a backup run.

It's rather bad if that is missing as it has all the pointers to the
archives, but borg check --repair should be able to rebuild the manifest
(takes a while though). That would also rebuild the repo index.

> sys.argv: ['/usr/local/bin/borg', 'create', '--verbose',
> '--exclude-caches', '--show-rc', '--filter', 'AME', '--list', '--stats',
> '--checkpoint-interval', '600', '--compression', 'auto,zlib,6',
> '--exclude-from', '/usr/local/sbin/BORG_EXCLUSIONS.list',
> '::{hostname}-{utcnow}Z', '/'] SSH_ORIGINAL_COMMAND: None

Unrelated to your problem, but just as a hint:

checkpoint-interval 600 is rather frequent. this is good for unstable
connections, but might impact performance if you have big indexes.

zlib is not quite the fastest nor modern.

maybe you rather want to consider the more modern zstd or lz4.

--
GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393