[Borgbackup] one file system

Tue Aug 27 11:30:44 EDT 2019

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 16:56:41 +0200
Thomas Waldmann <tw at waldmann-edv.de> wrote:

> On 27.08.19 15:33, richard lucassen wrote:
> > I try to run a backup of a / fs with the option --one-file-system,
> > the / fs is 3GB big, but borg is creating an archive that is at
> > least 10GB big (after wich it seems to do nothing according to
> > strace)
>
> Sounds strange...

Yep. I will umount the data part and retry.

> > /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/borg
>
> Usually, that is just "borg". Why are you calling it via python3?

This is a "ps fax | grep borg"

> And isn't /usr/bin in $PATH anyway?

Of couse :)

> > --compression lz4
>
> lz4 compression is the default in borg 1.1.

Ok, I'll remove it

> > --numeric-owner
>
> Is there some special reason you're using that?

It is an old rsync habit. When /etc/passwd is in the game I use
--numeric-ids, I often use rsync accross machines to backup and then a
--numeric-ids will keep the users.group together with the /et/passwd or
group of that machine.

Indeed there is no reason for it as the backup is invoked on the same
machine. But I can imagine that I will use borg to backup one machine
on another.

> > Did I do something wrong somewhere?
>
> I didn't see anything wrong (just some nitpicks).
>
> You can just have a look into the archive after it has finished (borg
> list), then you'll see what's in there.
>
> You could also run borg using --list or --progress (not both), then
> you see what it is doing while it is running.

Yes, I need to run it from the commandline, in the script I use fd 3 to
write the output to a mailbody.txt file that is mailed when the script
finishes.

I will try it again tonight.

--
richard lucassen