[Borgbackup] speeding up borg check

David Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Sat Apr 27 14:59:10 EDT 2019

On Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 11:42 AM Sascha Ternes <imperator at jedimail.de>
wrote:

--archives-only will check if for every file in every archive if the
> chunk(s) are available in the repo.

Unless things have changed since I discussed this on the list a while back,
it's important to note that this checks that the chunks exist in the chunk
index.  It will not detect missing segment files in the repo.

> > Ideally, what I'd like is for check to
> > do the maximum number of verifications short of reading the whole TB. So
> > check any indexes, directories, presence of files, etc. Just don't read
> > the full TB to verify each bit, I'd do that explicitly once a week or
> > once a month. Is this possible?

Assuming "presence of files" means check for the expected segment files,
then neither --archives-only nor --repository-only meets these requirements.

I'd be happy to learn if this is no longer correct. :)

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- Email: dave at gasaway.org