[Borgbackup] Multi-machine backup when there's some data overlap

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 11:01:07 EDT 2018

Noticed another issue related to this, I'm trying to replicate my rsync
setup where I ran some backups as root (/etc and similar) and others as my
own user (home directory). Both to the same repo.

This effectively meant I was trying to run a two-source backup, so lots of
rebuilding of cache involved. As I understand it, this means I have a few
choices:-
1. Accept the rebuilding time (it's kinda long for my data, so not likely)
2. Run everything as root
3. Have a separate repo for the user-backup

The issue with 2 is that I can only run borg list/info etc to check on my
data when logged in as root. This would be a partial issue with 3, since
that wouldn't apply for my own-user-backup (which is what's more
'important' subjectively anyway). Is my understanding correct?