[Borgbackup] Problems with big files

Marvin Gaube lists at marvingaube.de
Wed Jul 18 08:28:02 EDT 2018

Hello,
i started using borgbackup to do backups from my homeserver to a backup
server elsewhere (Standard SSH). Currently I'm stuck in the first run
with a very strange behavior:
I have a big file, around 100 GB. Unfortunately, the connection is
interrupted twice a day. Between the interruptions, borg usually gets
around 20-40 GB transfered. This runs for two weeks now, I'm never
getting further than this big file - and it's not touched at all.
Theoretically, it would have taken 2-3 days to transfer that file.

My idea is that for reasons i didn't know borg restarts transferring
this file completely, instead of using the chunks already transfered.
But, as far as i understood the documentation, i should have used the
chunks.

Is their any idea how i could solve or at least further debug the problem?

borg is on version 1.0.9 from debian Repo on both machines.

Command is:
REPOSITORY="ssh://user@host/backupdir"
borg create -v --stats --progress --checkpoint-interval
300                      \
    $REPOSITORY::'{now:%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M}'                 \
    /path/to/huge/directory

I set checkpoint-interval to 300 hoping it would solve the problem, but
it didn't.

Thanks!
Marvin Gaube